Heartburn and acid reflux during the second trimester are quite common. Heartburn begins as your body slows down resulting from a slowdown of our stomach acid and thus a delayed digestive process which can result in food gushing back up in the esophagus. Also, the hormone changes and pressure against our digestive track can also result in excess acid within the stomach.
Ayurveda offers a series of natural remedies both to prevent and manage heart burn and acid reflux during pregnancy. Use the below tips to ease heartburn.
• Avoid spicy and greasy food – heavy foods take a long time to digest and with a slower digestive process during pregnancy can aggravate digestive acids.
• Eat meals frequently – snacking or opting for smaller meals may take the pressure off your digestive system and help prevent from food and acid to accumulate.
• Drink your Meals – If you can, opt to drink your food (in soup form). Broken down foods in soup form gives your digestive system a kick start.
• Apple Cider Vinegar – Contrary to popular belief, apple cider vinegar is neutral. Adding a table spoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of warm water and drinking this daily can help reduce heartburn.
• Add high enzyme foods – High enzyme foods like pineapple, avocados, bananas, whatever is available locally and organically, will assist in the breakdown of food; this may help limit heartburn.
• Fennel Seeds – Fennel seeds are power digestive herbs. Chewing on a teaspoon of seeds, especially after a meal, will aid the digestive process and manage heart burn.
While there is no universal list of foods that should be avoided as each body has unique triggers, removing foods and practices that cause heartburn for you can will lead to a pleasant pregnancy experience.